Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Round 7. The South Got Something To Say, That's All I Got to Say

Andre 3000, Outkast "Millenium" off their 2nd album, Atliens (1996)

"Me and everything around me, is unstable like Chernobyl
Ready to go at any moment, jumpin' like a pogo stick
Life never lived up to my expectations, so I accept the patience
Expect the worse but now I'm pacin'
Back and forth, inside, I'm melting like water on wicked witches
A monster truck done came and ran over my picket fences
I had the best of life in my clinches but monkey wrenches was thrown
Like chairs kings sit on, my prayers seem to long
I fall asleep before the endin', don't even get to say Amen
I hope He understand I be on bended knees
At times, I think I'm crazy, then I say forget it
Or maybe it's the devil infiltrating and like Riddick...Bowe
I've been fighting this since them fetus days
I count from one to twenty, when I'm through, repeat the phrase
It's just a phase, it's gonna all pass, but that gets old too
I'm weakening like a deacon doin' dirt
What am I supposed to do?"


Listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG6seogAnFo

As long as you read that carefully, there's not a whole lot I need to say. Except that Andre 3000 is the best, and can put more in one verse than some can put in an entire career. And the best part, all of their songs are like this. Hailing from Atlanta, Outkast is a duo comprised of Andre Benjamin and "Big Boi" Antwan Patton. Along with a group of fellow artists known as the Dungeon Family(Organized Noize Productions, the Goodie Mob) they forged the genre of Southern hip-hop in the mid-90's. Funky, soulful, and revolutionary, there has been and never will be anything else this good. More to come from them, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment